japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Sports day enkai

So after sports day all the teachers went out for an enkai (party) at a local hotel. It was very traditional and had no signs of mash up. Once again i was wrong. First of all, it was all you can drink (wohoooooooo!). Secondly, the Japanese have a social rule that you can't refuse a drink when someone pours one for you (it's rude to pour your own) so obviously being the new white boy everyone wanted to talk to me and pour my drinks. Thirdly, the food was interesting. I could cope with the sashimi (raw fish) but i had no idea what some of the other dishes were. They tasted ok but the texture would instantly make you gag- the only thing to wash it down with was beer and i needed to wash down a lot. Fourthly, i made the mistake of claiming that I'm a big drinker. This resulted in a load of drunnken senseis stumbling around the room using their new English phrase 'im er big drink-a!'. It also encouraged them to bring me lots of interesting drinks. I was wankered.














After the dinner a few of us younger teachers went on to a dodgy bar and sang bad karaoke. I continued drinking and it all got a bit too drunken. I don't remember too much but I have spent most of today in bed and only managed to stumble accross the road to purchase a Mos Burger. I'm a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home