japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Welcome letters

Well i taught my first senior high lessons yesterday and they were, well.... um interesting. They're English ability is worse than that of the elementary school I visit. At the start of the lesson they all had to ask me questions to try to get to know me. They spent ages trying to think of questions and when they finally came up to me they asked weird things like 'what is your bloodtype?'. I don't bloody know!

Then a group of girls relucantly approached and asked my age. When I replied 21 they suddenly perked up and you could see in their eyes that they were thinking 'that's only three years! it's possible!'. Er no it's not possible- I'm your teacher! Then they're English suddenly improved with the immediate 'have you got a girlfriend?'. Honestly, they should respect the teacher student boundary!

They then all wrote me welcome letters. Here are a few highlights (they wrote some weird things)

"I want to friendly with you"- Is that how you say it nowadays?

"You are very nice face"- this was written by a boy, which is a bit worrying

"You are very cute and young!!"- should you really be writing this to your teacher?

"Lets make a comic book someday. I'd like to write the story Matt's an eye for fashion"- Is he taking the piss or is he serious?

Then in the middle of the gibberish, bad spelling and basic sentences came:

"Welcome to Yamaguchi. This prefecture faces the sea on the north side and has many fishing ports. Its fisheries thrive, and it's Japan's major port for the unloading of globefish. Yamaguchi prefecture's globefish are well known all over Japan"

Well I looked for the tourist guide she had hidden under the desk but it wasn't there. How can someone write this when the rest of the class served me shit splattered on paper? This country will never stop surprising me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

easy! isn't japan for little people?? you won't be able to go anywhere with that huge head of yours!

2:43 am GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA! Those letters are hilarious. Altogether now: 'Spill's what I go to school for!!!' :D

9:42 pm GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home