japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

International crimer

It was only a matter of time before the fuzz (the police) caught up with me. It's been nice knowing you all but soon I will be going to Jail. My evil rating is about to rocket past 50%. The truth is out - I'm an international crimer. I recieved an email from my father today saying that he needed my wrist size so that they know what handcuffs to bring. How can he joke at such a serious time? His favorite son (sorry Adam but deep down you know it's true) is about to go to jail. (I really hope my school don't know this blog address).

So about 9 months ago I travelled to London to pick my brother's car up from the airport because he was leaving for New Zealand. As I arrived home from work late, I was in a rush to get there in time. As a result I left my wallet in my work uniform at home. I got off the train at Reading and was stopped at the exit gate so that they could check my ticket. My ticket was only valid if I had my student rail card. It's very common to buy one of these tickets even if you didn't have a card because they didn't usually care. You've guessed it - my card was at home
in my wallet along with my cashcard and today was the day that they would decide to check my tickt out of the whole 3 years I had been in University.

The ticket inspector called over an undercover police man. He wanted me to pay the rest of my ticket. I couldn't - my wallet was at home. The whole situation looked ridiculous. It was the middle of hayfever season and I get it bad. I was there with scruffy hair, scruffy clothes, ripped jeans, a red nose and swollen bloodshot eyes. I looked like a druggie. They asked to search my bag - for some mad reason all it contained was a book on beginners Japanese. They asked why I was going to London. It sounded a bit suspect.

Then things got worse. They asked for my address - 16B High Street,..... Our landlord had done something very dodgy when he converted our flat so 16B did not exist on any records. I gave them my parents address and they did a police check on them.

They made me make a statement and sign it. They made it seem that it was all sorted, that I had been giving a telling off and to never forget my railcard again. I thought that was the end of it, however, 9 months later....

my father recieves a letter stating that following a court hearing at the end of January 2006 I need to pay £224 in compensation, court costs and fine order otherwise I will be arrested next week! They have been sending mail to my student address but I haven't been there to recieve it.

What really annoys me is

1. I told them when I would be moving out of that address
2. they told me that my student address didn't exist - so how could they send mail there?
3. I gave them my parents address as an alternative
4. they said nothing about any further action
5. I could have produced my railcard or a fine quite easily at any time after that day
6. They didn't bother contacting me for the two months between then and leaving for japan
7. WHY AREN'T THEY OUT THERE CATCHING REAL CRIMINALS?!

I don't know whether to be angry or laugh. I will keep you updated.

7 Comments:

Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Ohno... So they will have to pay a hell of a fee to come get you?
Surely they can see the error of THEIR ways!
Keep us updated.

7:13 am GMT+9  
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Oh, another suggestion. When you get back to the UK, wear that nice new brown suit. Scrub up. They won't recognise you! You will look so sophisticated.

9:16 am GMT+9  
Blogger J-girl said...

Ellen's right--the brown suit looks very nice. I don't know if it will look so good behind bars, though.

10:55 am GMT+9  
Blogger mashio spillip said...

Thanks for your support guys. If it gets worse I'm counting on you to start a "FREE JACKIE BAGGINS" campaign.

3:29 pm GMT+9  
Blogger Pauline said...

i'll bake you a special apple pie if they send you to the slammer. FREE MASSHU!

7:39 pm GMT+9  
Blogger Selena said...

thats crazy... very wise to stay a 2nd year in hiding!!

10:30 am GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you actually HAD a ticket but it was just a bit cheaper? For god's sake do they really not have anything better to do? Bastards, they've ruined your credit rating for years.
You'll have to stay out there now Matti and I'll be forced to come to Japan to see you!

5:10 am GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home