japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Monday, July 10, 2006

"Chin Chin"

Today I have a killer hangover and I almost spewed when they placed natto (fermented decomposing bean like shit) in front of me for school lunch. However, the night before made the hangover well worth it.
Yesterday I took part in a soft volleyball tournament with the teachers and the parents from my base school. It was far too serious - standing in lines, bowing, trophies, opening and closing ceremonies etc but it was still good fun. It was about to get a lot better....
The volleyball was followed by an enkai (party) with the parents and teachers. The students act and look exactly like their parents - it was soooo weird! Due to their similarities I soon found out that I got on really well with the parents of my favorite students. One got me started on the straight vodka and we soon got battered. He asked how to say "kanpai" in English and other languages so I taught him "Cheers" "Iechydd da" "Chin Chin" . WAIT A MINUTE - "CHIN CHIN"? Why did I say this? In Japanese this means "penis"!!!!! Well, before you know it, we were toasting "chin chin" to the whole room (including my principle, vice principle, heads of the PTA, and many housewives). Everybody got involved.
Then he felt my "chin chin" to see how big it was. He told everyone that it was like a "daikon" (big thick radish) and that his was tiny (all with hand gestures). Then other parents tried to set me up with their daughters from the school. They didn't think it was wrong at all and were actively encouraging me to persue my students. Well if they insist..... and then there was a fight - always a sign of a good party!
Talking to the students tomorrow will be interesting. I'm not saying anything but I wonder how much their parents told them. I think there should be more enkais with the parents. It's so much fun!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

haha sounds like that south park episode i put on my blog "you are giant penis...japanese bery small" i love the pta enkais-all the dads are total pervs

9:08 am GMT+9  
Blogger Pauline said...

hahaha...but it's the dads that i like

4:20 pm GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home