japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Elementary Graduation



Today I attended my elementary school's graduation ceremony. Being one of the few ALTs that gets to experience teaching at both Senior High and Elementary schools, I gave up my saturday morning to see how the two ceremonies differed. Senior High's cermony is extremely formal, boring and long. I was expecting the same to be true with Elementary but I was pleasantly surprised. There was a lot of standing, bowing, sitting, standing bowing, sitting, standing and some more bowing but once you looked past these formalities there was a glimmer of celebration, nostalgia and emotion. All students took part, not just those who were graduating. They made a arches for the 6th grade to enter the hall through, they sang, they played musical instruments, they made speeches to say thank you and there was a slide show of photographs of their entire time at elementary school. Another thing that impressed me was that they didn't use the stage and everyone sat in a square facing eachother. This made it a lot more informal and intimate. It also eliminated any signs of hierarchy as the parents, the teachers and officials, the students and the graduates each formed a side of the square. The only thing that I found slightly weird was the students marching in to 'Land of Hope and Glory'. It felt like the last night of the proms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home