japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Awaji Soccer Tournament

Now it may come as a surprise to some, particularly to those at home, that I took part in the Awaji Football Tournament. Throughout my school years we never played football as rugby was the more predominant sport. As a result, my poor football skills became notorious and, whenever I have attempted to play, I was often laughed off the pitch (I had trouble connecting my foot to the ball even when it was stationary). Before this weekend, a football tournament would not have been my idea of fun but my stint in Japan has surprised me yet again. The supporters were great and team spirit was amazing. This weekend reminded me why I actually did sport in the years preceeding my acquaintance with alcohol. I'm still not very good at the old game but I've definitely improved.

The girls played really well and came away with third place! The main team didn't come anywhere but we did ourselves proud. A few other teams approached us to tell us how they enjoyed playing against us because of our sportsmanship and attitude. A big thanks to Crystal and Jeremy for organising everything!!!!! To captain Neal and also to our ringers Jay and Ivor. Dave was a force to be reckoned with in Goals - a true natural. This is after he won us the first match by saving all three penalties after the no score draw.The girls had to round up a few ringers from Mie prefecture as they had no subs. I had to lend my shirt to this particular ringer - her name turned out to be Jackie!! Saturday night we went to an onsen to soothe our muscles, the outdoor pools overlooked the Akashi Kaikyo-ohashi: the longest suspension bridge in the world (3.91km), connecting Kobe to Awaji-shima. We then got drunk.

Pitchside hangover.

On the way back we made a brief stop to the American base in Iwakuni for a Pizza hut. Keith and I had to be smuggled in as we didn't have our gaijin cards. I must admit I was slightly scared being left in the car on my own, covered by a blanket, knowing that there were some very scary marines very closeby with guns. It worked, though. Your security isn't so great is it? The Welsh and Mancunian terrorists infiltrated your base and could have quite easily brought the whole place down!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home