japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Held hostage by four year olds!


Returning from work, I was ambushed by four Japanese kids (crazy that, being in Japan and all) at the entrance of my appartment. They greeted me with a "hi" and followed me to my front door. How could I close the door in their faces? I just had to play with them. One and a half hours of ketai* thieving, konchoing** genkiness*** later I needed to escape. They were having none of it!

I must say, however, that they were the most receptive children I have come accross to communicating in English (including my 18 year old students). We understood eachother, despite there being a language barrier (admittedly that might have something to do with my true mental age). I gave Sayaka my prize garlands from my limbo victory in Fukuoka but later found that they had found my postbox and returned them to me. How sweet are they!

*ketai - mobile phone
** konchoing- from the verb 'to koncho'. Japanese kids tend to catch their teachers unaware by poking their hands up your arse. Little buggers.
***genki - chirpy

4 Comments:

Blogger J-girl said...

Hey, Matt. I have been reading all sorts of things about you on the blogs. It seems you're not the shy, quiet type I had you pegged for during Tokyo Orientation. Appearances can be deceiving, I guess.

I am going to put a link to your blog on my site, unless I hear protests. Later!

10:06 am GMT+9  
Blogger Sarah said...

i like your blog jackie O

4:07 pm GMT+9  
Blogger Kat said...

welcome to the blogging world mr! that pic of the huge spider almost made me wretch-bet you dont get any of them in the valleys eh...

11:51 am GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spill! Who are these mysterious women!

By the way, do they still use the cane in japan? oh the power!

2:42 am GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home