japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

English Department Welcome Enkai

Today was my English Department Welcome Enkai, a bit late but it did exactly what it says on the tin. It really put me at ease as I have been worried that I haven't been living up to their expectations. Nakano Sensei told me that she was really impressed at how relaxed I am when I interact with the students and that is why she trusted me to teach a class all by myself while she as absent from school. This has given me a lot of confidence and I'm looking forward to teaching for the rest of the year. However, the japanese have a tendency to flatter you even if they don't mean it so I'm not sure if it was sincere. I'm hoping it was as Nakano sensei doesn't act Japanese. I also hope that they don't expect me to live up to this cultural tendency to be polite as I was asked to sit in on one of Sumitomo sensei's observation classes with the principle and vice principle of the school. They asked me my opinion on her teaching as she has only been teaching for 6 months. I was honest and said what I thought. Looking back on it, I hope they don't thik that i was harsh. Oh well, I'll get over it!

From left to right: Nishinaka Sensei, Nakano Sensei, Matt Sensei and Sumitomo Sensei.

After the enkai, I met up with Dave, Pauline and Rosie for a bit of drinking and poker.We got pretty smashed but it was great fun. Rosie "disgrace" Martin passed out on the floor. Good work! You did me proud. The survivors: me, pauline and dave.
The carnage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home