japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Wales - a beautiful city in England that's stuck in the past

Today at my elementary school the Kocho Sensei wanted to show me a NHK English Education video as it featured a report on Wales. Well all I can say is that I'm no longer surprised why the few Japanese people that have heard of Wales immediately think of stereotypes from yesteryear.

First of all it implied that we all work at slate quarries - this being the only matierial we know how to build with. As the narrator announced "and here are some locals", a group of quarry workers hopped on to carriages loaded with slate and they merrily darted through the green countryside with their legs dangling over the edge. This was all beautifully edited with some delightfully bad folk music.

At this point I thought it was quite funny but then the kocho sensei translated what they were saying.

Apparently in Welsh schools we use slate and chalk instead of blackboards and paper. WHAT? Maybe 200 years ago..... I asked him to clarify whether they were commenting on our history. NO!! They definitely said that this is now, today, 2005!! Unbloodyfuckingbelievable! I give up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wales, I've heard of that place, it's in the Cotswolds isn't it?
You've got admire these foreign people, they really do not have a clue where we are. Its no wonder they were so impressed with your powerpoint show, it wasn't the powerpoint it was the step up from chalk and slate!
Good luck on sunday, I think you might need it!

1:23 am GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God those foreigners have such backward viewpoints, I suppose they are completely ignorant about sheep molestation too?! jeez. they are blind to our proud british cultures.

8:23 am GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home