japanese mash

Hello! I'm originally from Cardiff in Wales but am currently living in Hagi-shi, Japan. I'm an Assistant Language Teacher on the Jet programme and have set up this blog to act as a diary of my time here and also to let friends know what I'm up to (I hate group emails as much as the next person!). Enjoy..... or be bored.

Friday, December 09, 2005

The race

Jostling elbows and snide glances were exchanged through the steam venting from each determined grimace at the start line. As far as I was concerned, there were only three competitors in this race: The first an experienced runner and undoubtable victor, the second a smarmy git forever talking himself up since the word go and the third - yours truly. The remainder were insignificant.

A heavy police presence and crowds lining the streets only confounded the unforgiving pressure. It was cold. It was early. It was not my idea of fun. Why had I agreed to this?

The rest I can't retrieve from the stew of excruciating pain, regret and "ganbare's" offered from the side. The other two were ahead every step of the way. I ended up in a disappointing fourth. FOURTH! FOURTH! FOURTH! I was racing my elementary school for God's sake! It was only 3km! There is no way I can do 20km on Sunday. I'm done for. It's been nice knowing you guys.

3 Comments:

Blogger David_Weinstein said...

spills, stop beating yourself up. first of all, like your forefathers before you have the genetics of a hardened slate miner. don't forget, you come from the wonderful CITY of WALES!!! second, you have your distances wrong, you don't have to run 20 km; you only have to run 21.09...cheers mate, you'll do great, see you tomorrow

9:58 am GMT+9  
Blogger mashio spillip said...

21.09? WHAT!?! I did not need to know that.

As long as I beat Pete that's all that matters. (If anyone's watching, can you trip him up please?)

See you at the start Weinstein.

10:13 am GMT+9  
Blogger David_Weinstein said...

like i told you, we'll go nancy kerrigan on his ass if absolutely necessary (but it won't be). also, this will be much easier than your epic voyage from the shire to mordor. finally, remember, running is about having fun, too; if you go into a long race with this attitude, you're guaranteed to be successful (i think i read that somewhere once...). matta ashita

10:59 am GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home